Friday, October 21, 2011

Tuesday 18th October - un coup de cheveux


A day of functional activities.  The great achievement was – a haircut!  This was a nerve-wracking undertaking.  It is difficult enough at home, where the hairdressers speak English, to get them to do what I want and not what they think I should have.  (Fortunately, I have of recent times, found one who is just wonderful.  I made his last cut last as long as possible – 10 weeks, but it had just got too scrappy).  I adopted my approach of explaining at the beginning that I was a visitor who spoke little French.  The woman was very friendly (they are either very friendly, or very abrupt I am finding), gave me an appointment to come back after the 2 hour lunch break.  
I managed to buy some boots for the winter in that time.  Last time I had boots was in England in the 70s.  These are quite smart, with a low heel, but the heels have pneumatic implants.  Don’t laugh now.  It means that the impact of walking is reduced by 50%.  I am sure it is a good thing.  They think so, as it has been patented, the shop assistant assured me.
Also found a recycle shop and bought, for 30 euroes, a long parka type coat.  I look like a puffed up penguin in it, especially with the white hair showing at the top,  but it is what everyone has here, and it keeps one warm.  (Maximum temperatures  of  -5 are a cause for concern, surely)
Back to the hairdresser, and I was the star turn for the afternoon.  The other clients all listened in to the wobbly conversation between me and my hairdresser, gave advice to both of us and laughed uproariously at my attempts to describe what I wanted, and then respond to their conversational overtures.   We all had a very pleasant hour, and I ended up with quite a good haircut, at much cheaper than Brisbane prices.

No comments:

Post a Comment