Sunday, October 2, 2011

Amboise - last days


The time here has gone quickly, but I feel as though I belong here.  Perhaps some year soon, I will come for three months or so of classes– I need that long to get my French under control. It is somewhat errant at the moment, and my facial muscles do not want to do the extravagant contortions that Les Profs demand of us to get the variations between three ways of saying “e”. Nevertheless, after a test yesterday, they gave me a certificate today, saying I am at Level B1 of the classification table for European languages. (B1 =  Long way to go).
There have been Government inspectors at the School the last three days; two of them, dropping in on classes and having meetings with students.  I think the students are very happy with what they are getting.  Apparently most of the young German students are here on German Government funding.  They expressed great contentment not only with the classes but at being able to have long picnic lunches by the Loire and spend weekends at Chateaux etc.  Everyone has long lunches – all the businesses close from 12 until 3pm, even the Post Office and Banks.  It is a big gap in the day, as the PO closes again at 5pm.
 I have been there (PO) several times over the past few days, trying to get my phone working. Following the instructions on the new phone proved to be beyond B1 level competency, so back to my friends at the PO.  Then I was supposed to receive an SMS with the number of my new phone, but no SMS.  This time, everyone in the PO said Bonjour with a big smile.  They know me now! And they made sure I got a number for my phone.
I have just managed my first call, to the owner of the gite I am going to in Eichhoffen tomorrow afternoon.  She will meet me at the station there, which is a relief. As the Eichhoffen site online says there are no taxis there.  (In fact, it is very difficult to get one in Amboise).
 Today, wandering along the river for the last time, an interesting spectacle – a Japanese Bridal Bus.  The Gold Coast is not the only place the Japanese visit for a Western Wedding.  There were eleven couples, fully attired in frothy white for the brides, and various suit styles for the men, and they were being driven to various points of interest in Amboise at which to be photographed.  It was very hot, and I felt for them.  One bride had a bottle of water dangling from her bouquet, while her husband carried her shoes.  But the pics will surely be lovely.
My last dinner with Madame and the students was lovely, and not just the food.  They have given me a pair of earrings to remember them all by – well chosen by Elena.  And then Madame produced her “book”, in which all her students write something, and she took a photo for the book also.  She has seventeen books, the record of all the students she has hosted in her home over twenty years.  I asked if she would be giving the set of books, in the future, to the Library, as they are a wonderful record of international relations at grass-roots level.  Probably more important than much of what goes on  under the guise of international relations in its official capacity. 
I will really miss these people and this place.

No comments:

Post a Comment